Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning is not generally dangerous. Most do not require treatment since it eventually settles on its own. Most can recover in around 2 days.
What are the indications?
Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning can trigger symptoms that strikingly resemble a severe case of gastroenteritis. The signs might manifest abruptly, oftentimes in just 30 minutes after ingesting contaminated food. In most cases, it takes up to 6 hours for the signs to arise.
The usual signs include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
The condition is essentially mild, and most can recover in 1-3 days.
Management of staphylococcus aureus poisoning
The staphylococcus aureus poisoning can last for 1-2 days. Medical care is not often needed since it settles on its own. The treatment involves rest and increased intake of fluids.
The condition can be dangerous among young children, infants, elderly and those diagnosed with HIV.
Since dehydration is the usual complication, intravenous fluids might be administered. In severe cases, hospitalization is required for close monitoring to prevent any complications.
What is the outlook?
If an individual acquires staphylococcus aureus food poisoning, there are no lasting effects once the bacteria clears the body, especially among healthy individuals.
Nevertheless, children, elderly and those with weak immune systems might end up with severe dehydration that necessitates treatment in a healthcare facility. The condition can be deadly. If medical treatment is promptly started, it increases the chances for full recovery.